Pages

Monday, February 16, 2009

Movie Trailers


Maybe I'm weird, but I love movie trailers. Apparently, I'm not the only one because The Dark Knight trailer headed the Top 10 Movie Trailers of 2008 list with (not kidding, I swear) 11 million views. Don't believe me? Here's the link: http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/top-trailers-of-2008.html

I'm a big fan of movies and this past year reaffirmed my love of them. Everyone flocked to the theater for the unique out-of-body escape one can only surpass by reading a good book during the Great Depression. Then again, movie tickets didn't cost $7 back then. That's what's so great about the movie trailers, though. You don't have to go to the local theater to see them. YouTube is my favorite trailer haunt. The adrenaline rush you're meant to get from seeing a new blockbuster movie trailer like, say Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen or even a chick flick like Bride Wars is an experience I can't seem to get enough of. At its core, it's that thirst for an awesome story. I think that's why authors/publishers are emulating this marketing gimmick with book trailers. That rush has gotten me through writer's block just as the rush I got from reading Nora Roberts' Carnal Innocence pushed me to write my first romance. A movie is still a story and that adrenaline-infused million-dollar movie trailer is like the hook of a back cover blurb. We all know how important those hooks are, especially when it comes down to anyone stretched by these difficult economic times choosing between...hm milk and eggs or movie? *balancing scales* Those movie-trailer-makers have to know what they're doing...just as the marketing director of any publishing house needs to be at the top of their game.

Note: I'll admit, if it ever came down between a $7 movie ticket and a paperback novel of the same price or lower...the paperback would KO the movie any day of the week. Still, nothing was so cute as watching the hubby see the new Transformers trailer for the first time: "Sweeeeet." And...ahem...all 7,100,000 views for the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince trailer were probably all mine. *sheepish grin*
If you wanna take a look back at my book trailers, here are the links:
*Great caption to the post pic called A Dreamy World: "A man's dreams are an index to his greatness." I believe Walt Disney, that late, great and much-adored patriarch of the movie business, would agree. Click the image for a closer view. It's worth a moment :)

No comments: