Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

10 Reasons I've Been Called a Geek


I'm told that I'm a geek. I'm not one to label myself. I just see it as general Amberness. (Yes, that is a word.) For people who follow me on Twitter and those who are just curious, I have compiled a list of examples of perceived geekdom. Or Amberness. However you wanna look at it...

#1 - I carry a book around like a three-year-old carries around a security blanket.

#2 - I have no desire whatsoever to see Eclispe this summer, but I am anticipating the new Predator movie. (What can I say? I love me some badass aliens.) I will also pay any amount of $$$ neccessary to be one of the first to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I at 12:00 a.m. opening day. (I also scoured the web for a trailer. Thank you, MTV, for finally providing me one! Now where are my movie clips???)







#3 - I know more about college football (particularly SEC teams) than makeup. Like some women know clothes labels, I know my football, baby. You might call this general chick fail, but we'll just log it down under general geekiness for now.

#4 - I quote Friends on a daily basis. Not only that, I can usually also name the exact episode it came from and what season.

Monica: "Losers walk."
Ross: "Losers talk."
Chandler: "No, actually, losers rhyme."
- from Season 3: The One with All the Football

#5 - I was a member of my high school marching band's flag corps and I still have my uniforms. (By the way, this is the only bullet on this list so far that makes me hang my head in shame.)

#6 - I'm into sci-fi. I love that romance is slowly expanding into the sci-fi/futuristic sub-genre. While I'm on the subject, I'll also admit that Han Solo is my idea of the perfect hero...and after watching the new Star Trek, Spock isn't half bad either. Favorite space pirate? Nathan Fillion. Ah, Serenity :)

#7 - I've thoroughly researched World War II. And not for the single reason that I set a book there...or because my great-grandfather served as a Navy gunner. Just out of general curiosity.

#8 - When I grow up, I wanna be a vegetarian.

#9 - When I'm not writing, you can usually find me haunting book review sites. I'm not looking for my own reviews. I'm reading reviews of potential titles for my TBR pile. Which is monumental. See here. (My favorite review sites are currently The Season, Book Smugglers, and Smokin Hot Books...just in case anyone was wondering.)
#10 - I bought a t-shirt that said "I will work for shoes," crossed out "shoes" and replaced it with "books."
So there you are, Cozies. My geekdom/Amberness is not limited to these items. They're just the top 10, according to people in my life. I know I'm not the only geek this side of cyberspace. Come on, admit it. What makes you a geek?

No comments: