Pages

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Recommended Reads

The second quarter of 2010 has come to a close and, true to Cozy tradition, following is my list of recommended reads. (Not all the titles that follow were released during the 2nd quarter of this year.)



A Hint of Wicked by Jennifer Haymore (My Review: 4/5) - When I first discovered that this book had two heroes, I thought it risky on the author's part. And when I sympathetized with both heroes, Tristan and Garrett, I wasn't sure that Haymore could resolve the heroine's dilemna of choosing between these two worthy men. It was the resolution, however, that I loved most about this book. If you're looking for something different in historical romance, I recommend A Hint of Wicked. I can't wait to read the sequel, A Touch of Scandal.





Wicked Little Game by Christine Wells (My Review: LOVE) - Another risky premise - a married woman accepts an indecent offer from a dashing marquis. I picked this one up based on the reviews. This book is now one my favorite historicals and Christine Wells is now on my auto-buy list. Wicked Little Game has everything - supsense, murder, intrigue, and sensuality. I can't wait to read it again!







Savor the Moment by Nora Roberts (My Review: 4/5) - Still struggling to find good contemporary romance these days. The one that I didn't put down at any point was the latest from Nora. Though I am a Nora fan, I wasn't as hyped up about this series due to the general meh I felt after reading the first two books in the Bridal Quartet (Vision in White & Bed of Roses). But this one centered around Laurel, the baker, and Delaney Brown was kind of addictive and I wound up enjoying it thoroughly. Already anticipating the final book in this series, Happy Ever After - due out in November.





Dawnkeepers by Jessica Andersen (My Review: 5/5) - The J.R. Ward cover quote sold me on the Final Prophecy series, but Andersen's books stand on their own. I love everything about this series. It's fantasy elements are unmatched and you can tell the author has a passion for the subject matter because it is so well-researched. I learn a lot about the ancient Mayan while getting an edge-of-the-seat read. I liked Book II in this series marginally better than the first, Nightkeepers. It packed the same heat, but there was something so satisfyingly romantic about Nate and Alexis, plus lots of great internal conflict between them.




Lover Mine by J.R. Ward (My Review: LOVE) - You knew it was coming. Who loves John Matthew? Amber loves John Matthew! This book is everything I thought it was going to be and more. I didn't expect it to be as romantic as it was since both the protagonists are, in essence, assassins. If you love the Black Dagger Brotherhood, you will love this book as much as I did. Definitely a re-read and maybe one of my top three favorite romances to date. (Uh huh - it was THAT good!)




Following are books I have reviewed for The Season, click on the title links to read the full review and book snippets....


Her Captain Dares All by Eliza Knight (My Review: 6/10) - Her Captain Dares All is Book 3 in Eliza Knight’s Men of the Sea series. Characters from previous titles in the series are mentioned, but reading order does not necessarily have to be chronological for each to be enjoyable. This book surprised me after a rough start. Once together, Lady Tessa Woodward and Captain Jeremy Williams enchant. As soon as they sail off from France to England, this story begins to read like the kind many romance readers first fell in love with; love on the high seas. I almost wish Tessa and Jeremy could have spent more time in the close confines on his ship, The Conqueror. Knight has a deft hand at building sensuality in subtle but no less satisfying strokes.... (read more at The Season)



The Summer of You by Kate Noble (My Review: 7.5/10) - Despite the author’s delightful voice, this Regency started out a tad slow for me, largely because it seemed to take some time for the heroine, Lady Jane Cummings, and the hero, Byrne Worth, to come together. The story begins in London with the return of Jane’s brother, Jason, from a year-long European tour. The declining health of their father, the Duke of Rayne, forces them to their Lake District cottage on Merrymere Lake and the charming village of Reston. Jane concerned me throughout the first few chapters due to her superior attitude toward the people of the country and her great unwillingness to leave the frivolity of London and all its distractions from her responsibility to her ailing father. But once she began to fall in love with the idyll country setting again, I began to warm up to her... (read more at The Season)



Sweetest Little Sin by Christine Wells (My Review: 7/10) - I looked forward to reading the sequel to Christine Wells’ Wicked Little Game. Though Wells had set the bar high, I was not disappointed by Sweetest Little Sin. Everything I loved about the prequel to this story is carried over into Sweetest Little Sin—suspense, intrigue, danger, sizzling sensuality and, to my delight, the mysterious character of the Marquis of Jardine... (read more at The Season)






Be sure to check The Season in August and September for reviews for these titles, one of which stars a "Hero To Die For" and is a Top Pick!














And this completes my list of recommended reads for the 2nd quarter! Readers, I'd love to hear your favorites. Meanwhile, here's a list of 3rd quarter titles I can't wait to get my hands on....


Swept Away by a Kiss by Katharine Ashe
July 27, 2010













Sin Undone by Larissa Ione
August 24, 2010












An Unforgettable Lady by Jessica Bird
July 7, 2010













Lie With Me by Stephanie Tyler
October 26, 2010

No comments: