Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

A Peak into the Cave...

The last time I posted pics from my writing cave was...well, a while ago. Things have changed since then. New house, new office, and even more clutter :)
The white furniture is from my childhood bedroom suite, which my parents bought when I first started writing. I wrote so many stories on my box of a computer that it seemed that my muse lived in one of the drawers. It might still hold magic powers.... The muse is more fickle these days and inhabits a desert island with Captain Jack several months out of the year. I only get her back when the rum's gone. The Dell desktop is my buddy Roarke. When the neighbors hear my office speakers kicking, it usually mean Roarke and I are making magic together...story magic, I mean. Get your head out of the gutter ;)
The gold plaque on top of the modem is my "Never, never, never give up" adage. Words I certainly write by! My booksigning tags hang on the wall. I can't wait to hang a framed poster from the musical Wicked. Speaking of which, this bad boy at left here is my Toshiba laptop who I know as Fiyero. Since my office is an offset of mine and my husband's bedroom, I do a lot of night writing with Fiyero so I can do my music-listening through a headset. He also spends a few nights a week in bed with us. The painting above this section of the desk is my grandfather's bicentinial painting, a recent and cherished gift from my father.
Though there aren't any personal photos in the cave, my loved ones are still very much around me. For example, the geisha doll pictured with Fiyero was a gift from my sister-in-law, which she brought back from a trip to Japan. The snow globe on the other side of my stationary box was a Christmas gift from my sister several years back. There's also a small white plaque that hung in my first bedroom with the words "Amber's Room" and pink ballet slippers. Girlie girl? Why, yes indeedy! The tiger paining has significance as well - it was a gift from a fellow Auburn fan and good friend from high shool. The verse reads "Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall ; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:30-31 followed by "War Eagle" on the bottom. Words to live by, all!
Finally, I couldn't write without one of these furry critters at my feet. My chocolate lab especially likes to keep them warm and snooze under my desk, particularly when there's a storm rolling through. The hub is currently building epic shelves to house my mountainous TBR pile. Can't wait to share them with all you Cozies! In the meantime, I'm working on proofs for the Wayback Ridge trilogy audibles. More on those as the countdown to Blackest Heart's September 7 audio book launch continues....

No comments: