Pages

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Throwback Thrusday Book Club Picks....

Howdy, readers! Welcome to the first Throwback Thursday Book Club. In case you missed my explanation last week, here’s how it works: every other Thursday, I’ll be recommending a “throwback” read—and by “throwback” I mean something published more than five years ago. There are all kinds of great titles out there waiting for readers to discover them and they aren’t all new. Some of my favorite reads definitely qualify for “throwback” status. I hope you find something you like, Cozies! Because today is the first Thursday book club post, I’ve chosen three “oldies.” Trust me, they’re goodies ;)




Author: Nora Roberts

Genre: Contemporary Romance (from Silhouette Intimate Moments)

Originally Published: 1996

Back Cover Blurb: Devin MacKade knew it was his destiny to serve and protect the small town of Antietam, Maryland. And he always suspected his future should have little Cassie Connor in it. After Cassie married the wrong man, Devin tried to convince himself there would be other women, other loves. Now, after Cassie's divorce, Devin can finally follow his heart. But can Cassie follow hers?

Why I Recommend It: I love the MacKade brothers. This book is third in a series of four, but it’s classic Nora. A great romance and, although not a novella, a quick read. I always love going back and cracking this one back open for a quick, satisfying fix. Devin is a memorable hero and his and Cassie’s story is both sweet and sexy!

Amazon Average Rating: 4.7 Stars (I personally give it a solid 5!)

 


Author: Sandra Hill

Genre: Contemporary Romance (from Grand Central Publishing’s Forever line)

Originally Published: 2003

Back Cover Blurb: Rachel Fortier, a thirty-something home design consultant, has had it with her fiancé. It's bad enough that he gave her a Thighmaster for Valentine's Day and a Butt Buster for her birthday, and that their seven-year engagement has no end in sight. But she just learned that he's had a vasectomy! Rachel packs up and heads south to meet her great-aunt Gizelle for the first time and take a few days to regroup. She imagines a Grandma Walton living in a picturesque house surrounded by wondrous nature. What she finds is a cabin on stilts deep in the bayous, with alligators and snakes the size of telephone poles. As for Aunt Gizelle, she's a former taxidermist who can outcreep Hannibal Lechter any day of the week.

And if that isn't enough to make a girl turn around and head right back to her ex, Gizelle is feuding with a Cajun bad boy -Remy LeDeux, a helicopter pilot and Air Force vet whose face is scarred from battle. Rene wants to buy a piece of property from Gizelle, but the feisty senior makes it clear she wants nothing to do with any LeDeux. But the moment Remy sees Rachel getting out of a red truck, it's love at first sight for the long-time bachelor, despite all the turmoil she brings into his life, with her ideas of Feng Shui-ing his houseboat and her ex chasing after her, not to mention her great-aunt threatening to shoot his heinie. But getting Rachel to say "I do" is worth it. After all, he's never met a woman before who looks at him like he's a Whitmans Sampler box and she's a chocoholic.

Why I Recommend It: I recently discovered Sandra Hill and her rip-roarin’ Cajun series. I’m sorry it took me this long. This happens to be the second book in Hill's Cajun set. The downhome, Louisiana bayou backdrop and Cajun culture is one of my favorite things about the story. However, it’s Hill’s voice and seam-splitting humor as well as the pace of the story that won me over. I was little more than midway through the book before I went out and bought the first book in the series and ear-marked other Sandra Hill titles on my auto-buy list. If you need a pick-me-up, this book’s for you!

Amazon Average Rating: 4.5 Stars (I give it 4)

 


Author: Jillian Hart

Genre: Historical Inspirational Romance (from Harlequin’s Love Inspired Historicals)

Originally Published: 2008

Back Cover Blurb: Montana Territory in 1883 was a dangerous place—especially for a blind woman struggling to make her way through an early winter snowstorm. Undaunted, Noelle Kramer fought to remain independent. But then a runaway horse nearly plunged her into a rushing, ice-choked river, before a stranger's strong, sure hand saved her from certain death.

And yet this was no stranger. Though she could not know it, her rescuer was rancher Thad McKaslin, the man who had once loved her more than life itself. Losing her had shaken all his most deeply held beliefs. Now he wondered if the return of this strong woman was a sign that somehow he could find his way home.

Why I Recommend It: I don’t read a lot of inspirationals and, even you aren’t a fan, trust me, this one is a memorable read. I’ve always been a sucker for a handicapped protagonist. Add in the western setting and, needless to say, a rancher hero.... It’s no wonder I bought this one in the first place. However, this is a stand-out title is a treat for those who enjoy the occasional sweet romance as well as those who love inspirational romance against the historical backdrop of the American West.  

Amazon Average Rating: 4 Stars (I give it 5)

 
So that’s it for this week’s Throwback Thursday Book Club picks! Come back two weeks from now for another great throwback recommendation. Oh, and don’t forget to tune in on Sunday to get a Mardi Gras recap as well as details for the first book bundle giveaway of the year to celebrate Valentine’s week!

I’d like to extend an invitation to readers who have throwback recommendations of their own. If you have a “throwback” book in mind that you would like others to know about, feel free to message me via email at amber@amberleighwilliams.com and I’ll be happy to include it and your name in the next Throwback Thursday post!
I'll leave you with one last treat in honor of Throwback Thursday. This one's from the '80's. Without a doubt, an oldie. This was long before my family moved to the Gulf Coast or the Mobile Bay, but here I am on a visit to the hometown of my heart as well as quite a few of my characters, Fairhope....
 

No comments: